Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorlalex
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2010 edited

Hi, I need some help/advice with regards toP HP frameworks. I spoke to Paul Rhodes and someone else(sorry,forgot your name!) at the April meet who recommended a number of frameworks to help rewrite two systems I look after that basically do the same business things (more detail at http://lalexgraham.wordpress.com/2010/05/12/php-v-net-whats-the-best-for-me) and I'm guessing theres something out there (be it addons to codeigniter, cakePHP or a dedicated business framework such as phpOpenBiz) thats already got the bulk of what I need to kick start the development. Whats your opinions on frameworks and/or are there any php forums that you can recommend I post to? Cheers
    • CommentAuthorMatt
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2010 edited

A lot of framework-realted stuff is what patterns and idioms you feel most comfortable with.

I know the One Black Bear guys made their own : PHPWax which suits their style. Charles or Ross would be able to tell you more. I know when I last looked the documentation wasn't there, but this seems to have improved.

Both Trev and I have used Kohana which took CodeIgniter and made it a more PHP5-orientated framework. Good docs, but it isn't as "light" as it claims.

Other folks have used Cake which has a good rep for docs and support, but I don't know enough about to comment on really.

• CommentAuthorlalex
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2010

Thanks Mat, this is helpful. Will take a look at PHPWax. Think I have to get my hands dirty with one or two frameworks. Thanks again
    • CommentAuthorsimonhamp
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2010

We've also started our own Open Source, very lightweight PHP framework called Eddy: http://github.com/flipstorm/eddy

It hasn't got a lot to it yet, but allows anything built on LAMP (PHP 5.3) to get up and running quickly with tidy URLs, a simple ORM, basic user auth and AJAX (using JSON).

We're looking for contributors to build on it and developers to give it a go